Maremma land rich in history, culture and ancient traditions offers to the tourist a unique landscape.
Full of protected areas, oasis and natural parks, where wild animals
and plants live free in their habitat. Diaccia Botrona represents one of the most extended wetland of the Tyrrhenian coast.
Diaccia Botrona is an important historical and naturalistic area, characterized by the presence of historical (Clodia island, Badiola al Fango) and architectural
(Red House or Casa Ximenes) heritage. The environmental value of the area has been recognized by various associations, national research institutions and international
authorities engaged in environmental protection.
Diaccia Botrona consists in a beautiful wetland, where typical animals and plants live adapting to this particular environmental condition, therefore trees and shrubs result
Channels, rushes and canes, framed by vast pine forests, create a unique landscape. The whole area is flat, at sea level; the only elevation are the channel banks and the
hill of Clodia Island.
Ancient Etruscan city bowing to Roman domination, full of interesting testimonies of the time: the Roman part, the ancient streets, the remains of numerous public and private buildings,
in particular Castellum Acquarium in Murella. Imposing the ruins of the thermal baths, the bath of Saturnia and around the city many necropolises, the oldest in the
seat of Charles.
An enchanting island made of sharp rocks, sun and sea, green with plants and bushes. The charm of this land was already irresistible at the time of the Quirites,
even though it decayed over the centuries
and became a refuge for fishing community. Certainly inhabited by the Etruscans, the Argentario knew a significant commercial weight only at the time of the Romans,
who founded the
colony of Cosa and probably Porto Ercole. Later, the Pisans first and the Sienese then fortified it to defend the coast from the Saracens. This world of wild beauty and
dolce reserves anyone who visits it dream corners.
The Tarot Garden
An unusual park set up by the artist Niki De Saint Phalle in the Garavicchio locality coming from Grosseto, after the crossroads for Capalbio, exit for Chiarone,
crossroads for Pescia Fiorentina take the road for about 3 km to the aforementioned place.
The Tarot Garden houses 22 sculptures representing the major arcana cards. During the period
in winter the garden doors are only open by reservation for groups of at least 15 people. For more information call 0564 89.51.22 .
The largest of the Tuscan Archipelago, mountainous and rugged, has 118 km of coastline that winds its way through high and rocky stretches and small sandy beaches.
Of particular importance is fishing and fishing
production of fine wines with a strong alcoholic strength, however the main voice of the Elban economy is tourism today. The attractiveness of its landscape recalls
always visitors. Known since ancient times, the island was first dominated by the Etruscans and Romans who started the exploitation of iron deposits. In possession of the
Longobards first, of the Greeks, Normans and Saracens then, the island subsequently fell into the hands of the Pisans, the Medici and the Spaniards.
After passing under the domain
French, only in 1815 Elba returned to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and in 1860 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy.
Isola del Giglio
Island belongs to the province of Grosseto. Dominated by the Romans, the Pisans and then by the Aragonese, in 1558 it was purchased by the Medici and became part of the
Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Obligatory destination for those who are in Maremma, can be visited in one day.
Il Parco della Maremma
Wild landscapes and environments that in 1975 took the name of Maremma Natural Park. It extends from the pine forest of Tombolo di Principina a Mare to Talamone,
including a stretch of coast of 20 km. It is certainly the most varied and characteristic natural park in Italy and protects, inside, all the typical environments of the
Maremma: the course
conclusive of the Ombrone, with the Trappola estuary and marshes, the dunes and tomboli, the scrub, the pine forest, the mountains and the limestone conglomerates.
For visits and excursions, call 0564 407098 or the Albatro Cooperative of Grosseto 0564 410121 - 0564 412000.
From the church of the Madonna delle Grazie, dedicated as an ex-votos for the plague in 1527, and with the sun towards the sunset, Pitigliano gives an unforgettable scenographic impression. Yes
breathe the air of civilizations and cultures changing in the unpredictable logic of the times: the prehistoric one, the Etruscan one with a vulcan sign, the Roman one unifying the peoples in a common
order, the medieval one of the Aldobrandeschi lords of the Maremma for about half a millennium, the Renaissance grandeur of the noble Roman family of the Orsini and the Medici and the
Lorena. The town is dominated by the Orsini fortress palace: inside the palace there is a museum with archaeological objects from the Etruscan settlement in Statonia.
In Capisotto is the sixteenth-century Church of Santa Maria. In the square named after Gregorio VII is the baroque cathedral. The Jewish synagogue is located in the "ghetto".
It is a village of dark tuff, built on terraces cut into an open cliff and made steep by the Lente stream. It is probably of Etruscan origin, but its name "Soranus" ne
testifies to Roman times. The Leopoldine boulder hangs over the houses, another tuff rock on top of which is a terrace overlooking the village. In the village are the church and how much
remains of the Palazzo Comitale: the portal and the courtyard. The fortress, designed by A. Maria Lari in 1552, which stands out on the southern part of the village, was linked to a system
defensive whose powerful remains can be seen in Montorio, Castell’Ottieri and Vitozza. The fortress can be visited from the basements to the high bastions, by contacting the Medieval Museum
Renaissance, which is in the inner part of it.
It was inhabited in the seventh, sixth and fourth centuries. B.C. its maximum development coincided with the surrender of Vulci to Rome in 280 BC. It was a bishopric diocese as early as the 6th century. To the XII-XIII centuries are
medieval buildings can be dated. It was the capital of an Aldobradesque county until 1313, when it passed to the Orsini. Finally, the Lorraine belonged to the Sienese, the Medici and their successors.
In evidence are the Cathedral of the IX-XI century. The Rocca and the church of Santa Maria are from the thirteenth century and inside there is a 9th-10th century tabernacle. In the hills around
are the Etruscan tombs. The large temple tomb, called Ildebranda, renews the memory of Gregorio VII, from Sovano. The room below is of extreme simplicity that contrasts
with the sumptuous decoration of the exterior.
Located in a hilly region called Colline Metallifere, it is a city of ancient traditions. Around 1000 it was a bishop's fiefdom and in 1225 it became a free municipality; he had
its own mint, its weights and measures and gave Europe the first Mining Code; the main public and private works and the splendid square where date back to the municipal age
the majestic cathedral stands out. Conquered in 1335, it became part of the Republic of Siena as a simple countryside. In 1555, when the Florentines expelled the Sienese, Massa was
incorporated in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, but only under the Lorena dynasty, in the eighteenth century, it raised its fortunes thanks to the resumption of mining and the works of
quenching and tempering.
Ancient way of transhumance for flocks, used over the centuries by shepherds to go down to the plain. It was the stronghold of the Maremma; refuge for emigrants, dreamers, today a place of
holiday for the Maremma who go up there to seek refreshment against the summer heat or winter snow for ski weekends.